Average Teacher Salary in Hawaii
In 2007, the average teacher salary in Hawaii was $45,263.33. The number decreased by 5.46 percent in 2008, when Hawaii teacher salaries were $42,790 on average.
By 2009, average teacher salary in Hawaii went up by 9.93 percent overall, making teacher salaries in Hawaii $47,040 on average. Over the three-year period, despite the decrease in 2008, Hawaii teacher salaries rose by 3.93 percent overall.
The teaching salaries in Hawaii have consistently been lower than the national average, which was $48,353 in 2008 and $49,720 in 2009. However, the increase in the average teacher salary in Hawaii has been greater than the national average, which was 2.8 percent between 2008 and 2009.
The teaching salaries in Hawaii have placed the state at 27th in the nation in 2007, 40th in the nation in 2008 and 29th in the nation in 2009, as detailed in the Hawaii teacher salary schedule below.
|Average Salary||Percent Change|
|Rank||2009||Rank||2008||Rank||2007||2008 to 2009||2007 to 2008||2007 to 2009|
Read our article on becoming a teacher in Hawaii if you are interested in teaching in Hawaii.
Average Teacher Salaries in Nearby States
Financial Data for Hawaii
State Spending on Teachers
- Salary expenditure on all teachers (including home schoolers, special education, non-certified teachers): $825,054,797
- Benefits expenditures for teachers: $285,816,565
- Instructional expenditures for teaching supplies: $95,675,875
- Total current instructional expenditures per student (teacher salary and curriculum): $7,556
- Total current expenditures per student: $12,465
Revenue Per Student From Various Sources
- State revenue per student: $11,975
- Federal revenue per student: $1,727
State Sources of Revenue for Schools
- Revenue by state property tax: $-1
- Revenue by local government property tax: $-1
- Federal grants direct to local districts: $227,735,866
- Federal grants through state: $33,023,982
Hawaii School Districts
|School District||Full Time Teachers||Student to Teacher Ratio||Contact Information|
|Hawaii Department Of Education||11,294||16 to 1||
1390 Miller St
Honolulu, HI 96813